When we think of JOY, we think of all things positive pertaining to it, such as happiness, goodness, kindness, smiles, cheer, elation, excitement, etc. Joy is an experience that people with a winning attitude carry; however, no matter the level of Joy you experience in your life you will encounter those that work against that JOY that I think everybody deserves to experience. I classify such people with such a heavy-seated negative spirit as those of a CRITICAL SPIRIT.
There are times when I come across people who have developed within themselves a critical spirit. A critical spirit is one that always knit-picks at every single thing you do or say because they suffer a serious illness which I call “DEPRIVATION OF JOY“. Without realizing it, they tend to tear down other people’s self-esteem to propel their own because deep down inside, they are suffering emotional pain that they pacify by hurting others with their words, thoughts, actions and deeds. Such pain is rooted in heavy seated personal insecurity harbored by feelings of resentment, envy, and bitterness. Hurting people can hurt people in much the same way that abused people can become abusive people. They may not realize it on the onset that they exihibt the traits of an abuser with their conduct, but from my experience, I find that they focus on attacking strong-willed, passionate, and confident individuals because they despise their strength that comes from working at being positive minded and growing in FAITH.
The character of a Critical spirit is what most would identify in modern vernacular as a “Hater”. They criticize in methods and ways to damage and control others because they lack the ability to practice serious introspection regarding their emotions. They tend to operate on the basis of emotions and their criticism is never constructive but rather always destructive. Constructive criticism builds and corrects, Destructive criticism negates, nullifies and always seeks to CONTROL others.
I have observed in my life that when a person is unhappy with their status quo they seek to control those that are happy and full of JOY in whatever they are doing. True Joy comes from the LORD and JOY is everybodies portion, but bitterness, anger, unforgiveness, impatience to receiving the promises of God robs people who are “Haters” to receive full healing because they can’t diagnose how sick they really are emotionally.They are blinded by their unstable behavior nor can they ascertain what their root problems are that are hidden deep within themselves. It is better for the “Hater” to point a finger and knit-pick at others weaknesses without analyzing their own. I have met a few in my walk, and yes, they are quite challenging to deal with on a daily basis at times, but I still believe that God loves even such people and seeks to restore them into their “right” mind.
GOD SEEKS TO MAKE PEOPLE WHOLE AGAIN.
O LORD my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.
He sent His word and healed them, And delivered them from their destructions.
Let’s analyze an example of how destructive a Critical Spirit can be when it is unrestrained.
In the book of EXODUS 32, Moses had to deal with such cantankerous individuals (the children of Israel) that exhibited traits of a critical spirit when they were wondering in the wilderness and criticized his leadership and rebelled against his authority while he was up on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments from God, by opting for a GOLDEN CALF as their “god” and claiming that the graven image was responsible for releasing them from captivity in Egypt (Exodus 32:4). Aaron usurped Moses’ authority over the people and aided in the creation of the golden idol as they started to worship the Gold Calf with drink and merry dancing. God got very angry with the children of Israel’s idolatry and commanded Moses to go down to reprimand and rebuke them for their evil actions and rebellious behavior. Aaron (Moses’ brother) dished out excuses as to why he assisted in making the idol trying to pin the blame on the people when he was in on this whole thing too. Moses got really angry with Aaron and the people and took the idol, burnt it, crushed it into powder and put the powder into water and made the children of Israel drink of that water (Exodus 32:20). Aaron should be found guilty of his behaviour because he had facilitated in the act of creating the idol and had contributed to causing all the children of Israel to sin against GOD. This was a serious offense that led God to judge those that were guilty of the deed later on (Exodus 32:33-35).
What can you learn about people who have a Critical spirit from this story?:
1. They lack patience to hear or wait on God and are negative minded complainers (Exodus 32:1);
2. They refuse to do things God’s way and start to do things their way by taking things into their OWN hands (Exodus 32:1-2);
3. They love to Usurp authority when they disagree with their leaders instruction and enjoy the power of controlling a group to follow their instructions instead that go against the original mission or vision for the group (Exodus 32: 2-4). Aaron usurped Moses’ authority by taking the lead (in Moses’ absence) in the creation of the new golden calf by instructing the children of Israel to give up their gold and jewelry so that he could mold the new graven image. Instead of waiting on Moses to return from the mountain, Aaron took matters into his own hands which was a grave mistake for both him and the entire camp. They all had raised the fury of the Lord to pronounce righteous judgment on them all by this grave conduct of DISOBEDIENCE.
4. Critical spirits are disobedient to the Word of God. They fail at listening to instruction and are rebellious in all their ways.
5. They lack the Fear of the Lord (Exodus 32:6). They (the children of Israel) danced and drank merrily in their disobedience around the graven image of the Golden Calf.
6. They are FAITH-LESS and try to justify it by pointing fingers and pinning the blame on others for their lack of Faith. “Nothing is ever their fault”, it’s always “everybody else is to blame but them”. This is also a pity-party behavior as well. Aaron tries to justify his actions to Moses by blaming the people when he had the ability to lead them to do right before the Lord. It is clear to me that Aaron loved the power trip he had and sunk too high in PRIDE that he was too arrogant and willful in his behavior to notice how rebellious he had become against GOD. He saw no consequence to his actions since he assumed that his brother wouldn’t come back anytime soon from the mountain (Exodus 32:22-24).
7. They are moved by the things of the Flesh and not by the Spirit of God.
8. They seek instant gratification over perseverance in obedience to God (Exodus 32:1-6).
9. Under their leadership, they cause others to sin and fall into a place that allows for the righteous judgment of the Lord to fall against the people (Exodus 32:21); however, judgment was withheld by Moses’ intercession for a short time (Exodus 32:11-14) Aaron was the cause of this grave offense against God’s 1st & 2nd commandments — “You shall have no other gods before Me” (Exodus 20:3); “You shall not make for yourself a carved image…” (Exodus 20:4). Aaron’s conduct affected the destinies of the others who had followed his instructions to sin together. Critical spirits latch on to other people which enables it to cause another to sin if they lack Self-control.
10. Critical spirits FEAR divine correction, instruction and rebuke (Exodus 32:22).
11. Critical spirits refuse ownership for their evil actions (Exodus 32:22-24). Aaron justifies his behaviour as no fault of his own and yet in Exodus 32:35 it is proven he was responsible for the calamity that fell on the children of Israel who followed his WICKED instruction to create a graven idol for worship.
12. Critical spirits are unrestrained (Lack self-control) (Exodus 32:25)
12. Critical spirits destroy other people lives (Exodus 32:35) Righteous judgment falls on the people who were rebellious and disobedient to God.
13. Critical spirits turn you against God (Exodus 32:1-6).
I just want to state for a fact that this is my biblical take on this type of critical spirit. From my opinion and experience, I have seen people operating in these traits that I have described in many of their actions done to me and others during my walk. They exhibit many of the qualities to a large extent and follow a similar pattern to Aaron and the children of Israel who grumbled while out in the wilderness.
Despite all that, whether they see it or not, these highly emotional people don’t realize that their emotions are like a sinking ship into a path that leads to ungodly behaviour. Such people need to admit that they have a serious problem with PRIDE and lack of self-control to function properly. I classify these critical spirited people as highly dysfunctional. In some cases, depending on the level of dysfunction, they may need some serious deliverance counseling in order to heal from that behavior.
Anybody who operates with a lack of self-control is definitely under the influence of some demonic forces and that is why some people who cultivate such a critical spirit behave demonized (depending on the level of strongholds in the persons mind).
How can one receive healing & deliverance from this Critical Spirit?
They must CONFESS with their mouths their sins/weaknesses in order to receive their healing and not act like Aaron, who refused to take ownership of his behaviour. A lot of people remain a slave to their sins/weaknesses because of this level of PRIDE and ARROGANCE that refuses to admit that they need to come clean about their actions. If you know of someone that has operated with this type of spirit, or if you have personally struggled with this type of behavior and have identified areas that you have failed to be honest before the Lord, let me tell you that JOY is virtually non-existent in your life if you choose to remain in denial about of your sinful actions/ behaviours.
Why choose to be in bondage to guilt and shame when freedom comes from CONFESSING your weaknesses and failures before the LORD? Temporary fleshy JOY isn’t true JOY, because true JOY comes from the LORD and that level of JOY provides strength. Choose to be set free from this cycle of destructive criticism and confess the areas where you caused harm to others by your bad behaviour, words spoken, thoughts meditated, and through your actions and deeds. When you confess, seek the Lord to set you Free to release the guilt and restore your JOY that is DIVINE and from the Lord. Humble yourself before Him and HE will hear from Heaven and heal you from this Critical spirit. Remember that such a spirit is UNBELIEVING, so seek God in FAITH that HE will hear you from Heaven and answer you when you call on the NAME of the LORD, JESUS CHRIST.
MEDITATE on the Word concerning JOY. JOY IS YOUR PORTION. BE FREE TO Experience it in ABUNDANCE!
Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”
Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you righteous; And shout for joy, all you upright in heart!
And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD; It shall rejoice in His salvation.
Blessed are the people who know the joyful sound! They walk, O LORD, in the light of Your countenance.
[ A Call to Worship and Obedience ] Oh come, let us sing to the LORD! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.
[ Joy in Forgiveness of Israel’s Sins ] Praise the LORD! Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.
The humble also shall increase their joy in the LORD, And the poor among men shall rejoice In the Holy One of Israel.
the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voice of those who will say: “ Praise the LORD of hosts, For the LORD is good, For His mercy endures forever”— andof those who will bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause the captives of the land to return as at the first,’ says the LORD.
Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord.
Be encouraged and know that JOY can be restored in those lives that have often times experienced the rough end of the stick. The JOY of the LORD is for EVERYONE. He is the one who can restore it all who seek to walk uprightly and seek to do HIS WILL and not THEIR OWN.
I have put another song that ministers to me whenever I struggle with my own weaknesses and seek God to heal me in areas that require DIVINE INTERVENTION by seeking His face in truth and sincerity in prayer and meditation. I pray that it ministers to you and May God Grant you the JOY that you deserve in this life. Humble yourself to receive the Joy that He offers to give. Set aside your PRIDE and seek His face so that you can be restored and feel true fulfillment in the Lord. He cares for you soo much that He loves to heal the broken-hearted, the abused, the critical minded, the proud, the haughty, the offended, the disobedient and rebellious, etc.
[ The Way, the Truth, and the Life ] “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
Out of Eden – I am the ONE.